Trocaire is looking for a translator who can provide accurate translation services for documents, from Somali to English. The translator should have specific experience in translating medical documents and understanding of medical terminology.
Timeframe: 1-12th April 2019
Total number of pages to translate: Approximately 23 pages
The objective of the assignment is to provide translation service particularly to translate “Clinical Management of Rape Standard Operating Procedures documents” from English to Somali.
Trocaire provides support to health facilities in Gedo region ranging from District Hospitals to primary health units (PHUs) in 4 districts; Belet Xawa, Doolow, Luuq and Garbaharey district. Trocaire is looking to strengthen provision of clinical management of rape in those facilities and has recently developed standard operating procedures to guide this work. Health care providers play a major role in responding to Sexual Gender Based Violence (SGBV) and promoting and protecting the rights of survivors by offering safe, confidential and dignified services.
The SOPs describe minimum actions to be taken to respect international standards and a survivor-centred approach in caring for GBV survivors in a clinical setting, focusing on clear steps, procedures, guiding principles, roles, and responsibilities for health actors involved in the clinical response to rape.
These Clinical Management of Rape (CMR) Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) reflects internationally recognized standards and Somalia’s National CMR protocol. The SoPs are designed for use by as many qualified health care providers (health coordinators, medical doctors, clinical officers, midwives and nurses). To reach as many medical personnel as possible Trocaire is keen to make Somali versions available. The SoPs and guidelines are part of Trócaire’s larger strategy to respond to SGBV.
- DESCRIPTION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The translator will be responsible for:
- Producing accurate translation of texts from English to Somali. Content accuracy includes an accurate translation of the medical terms in the document. All texts, including texts contained in figures, boxes, captions, requires translation and proofreading.
- Ensuring the documents are translated as best as possible in vocabulary, syntax, expression and grammar as well as all relevant medical terminology.
- Ensuring quality check and proofreading of translation to verify that the meaning of the text is not changed due to translation errors.
- The translator is obligated to work within the required deadlines and avail himself for comments and corrections.
Confidentiality: The translation submitted to Trocaire under this TOR is the property of Trocaire and cannot be submitted, distributed to or used by any other party, unless explicitly permitted by Trocaire in writing.
Qualifications and Experience
- Fluent in English.
- Fluent in Somali.
- Keen on details and accuracy
- Ideally 3 years of relevant experience in translation
- Demonstrated experience in translating documents for non-government organizations preferably medical documents.
- Ability to work independently, under pressure to ensure work is achieved to a high standard and in a timely manner.
- Must be able to show proof of previous work submitting the original text and translated work from English to Somali.
Working arrangements and Duration of the Assignment
- The translator is expected to work remotely, and will do an initial meeting with Trocaire to discuss the assignment (in person or virtual)
- The assignment will require adherence to a strict timeline agreed with the consultant at inception.
How to apply:
If you meet the qualifications, please email the documents below to email@example.com on or before 27th March 2019. (Submissions will be evaluated on a rolling basis.). The subject of the application should read ‘Translator ’.
- a) An expression of Interest that includes:
- a financial proposal – rate per page
- contacts of referees from past 2 assignments
- 2 samples of translated work (including English version)
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
The rate per page paid shall be inclusive of all associated costs such as taxes. etc